CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Turkey Soup

Alright people, remember that turkey soup I was talking about last week? I thought I would post the recipe, because seriously, it's GOOD! My mom makes it every year after Thanksgiving and I think people get more excited about that than the actual Thanksgiving meal. (Okay, maybe not but close!) :) This recipe is actually made to use your leftover turkey carcass. I had NO idea there was so much meat left on those things...we ended up with a huge bowl of soup plus some.

My mom is a lot like me (or maybe it's me a lot like my mom...) and just kinda follows recipes. For this one we pretty much doubled most of the stuff and I think it turns out more like a stoup than a soup...ya know, super thick, more stewy than soupy. Yummy!

Leftover Turkey Soup
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning (or sage)
Bones and trimmings from 1 turkey or 2 chickens
3 cubes (or 3 teaspoons) chicken bouillon
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 quarts (6 cups) water
1/2 cup barley or rice or 1 cup noodles
3 medium carrots sliced
2 stalks celery sliced
2 medium onions chopped

(Now that I am typing out the recipe I am realizing how much I didn't follow it..but you can change, add, subtract whatever you want, it's just a good base. The recipe suggests other veggies to try too...corn, zucchini, tomatoes, potatoes, peas and mushrooms.)

In large pot/dutch oven (I used our big roaster since I had a 24 pound turkey carcass) combine the first 6 ingredients. Simmer covered about 1 1/2 hours. Cool then remove bones - cut off all meat and return to the broth.

Add remaining ingredients. (I totally forgot the onions, oops!) :)
Simmer covered about 30 minutes or until vegetables and noodles are tender.

Garnish with parsley if you want and serve with a thick hearty bread...that's a must! :) Also, we use Reames frozen noodles...SO good, I would suggest those over rice for sure!

Enjoy! :)

10 comments:

blueviolet said...

I never would have thought to use that old carcass! That looks delicious though!

Carrie said...

Mmmmm, sounds and looks yummy! I will surly have to give it a try. It must be recipe day as I was compelled to post one today as well!

Jen said...

this looks wonderful. I am going to have to try this. I never us the turkey carcass, I throw mine away, and I feel bad about it, now I won't have to. I'll have to try to make a turkey this weekend. I like to make a turkey about 3x/month. Lots of good leftover, so lots of meals!

He & Me + 3 said...

Girl that looks delish! I could go for a warm bowl about now. YUM

Helga said...

That looks so good and sounds really easy. I have never used the leftover turkey carcass but I might have to give it a try next time! I mean, your crockpot mashed potatoes were super yummy so I trust your judgement :o)

Cop Mama said...

Oh yum! That looks so good! I've never tried this but you make it look so easy. Great pics, too!

mrs. b. said...

looks delicious! great, now i'm STARVING! i suppose i'll have to settle for some oreos. but i will certainly be trying this soup!

B-Dub said...

Looks delish! Great idea for all the leftovers!

Bethany said...

Yummy! I want to come have some. Doug almost took a wrong turn on I65 last night. I told him it was okay, we'd be at your house in the morning. :)

Pennie said...

Ooo - thanks for this recipe -and the pics - I'm a visual person. Love it all!