CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Thanksgiving Week!!

I can't even believe that Thanksgiving is already here, where the heck did November go!?
I'm happy it's here though...this week is going to be really busy but fun and exciting.

Of course there's Thanksgiving on Thursday.  I can't decide what I am looking forward to the most, the French Silk Pie my mom is making or the stuffing.  Oh and here's my Thanksgiving confession...I could care less about turkey, not a big fan of it.  I would rather have leftover sandwiches the next day. :)

Wednesday we have our ultrasound!  I am so excited to see the little guy (or girl.)  

Friday is not only shopping day (YAY) but our neighbors and good friends are having their baby that morning!  I am so excited for them and I can't wait to hold their sweet little girl.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay so I posted this in January but I thought I would share it again in case you are having Thanksgiving at your house and need something to do with the carcass.  (Carcass...ewww.)  Anyway, throw it in your freezer and take it out when you are ready.  We actually made a turkey a couple weeks ago solely to make this soup.  Good thing Matt likes turkey more than me, I think he took it to work for lunch every day that week. :)

Original post:

Alright people, remember that turkey soup I was talking about last week? I thought I would post the recipe, because seriously, it's GOOD! My mom makes it every year after Thanksgiving and I think people get more excited about that than the actual Thanksgiving meal. (Okay, maybe not but close!) :) This recipe is actually made to use your leftover turkey carcass. I had NO idea there was so much meat left on those things...we ended up with a huge bowl of soup plus some.

My mom is a lot like me (or maybe it's me a lot like my mom...) and just kinda follows recipes. For this one we pretty much doubled most of the stuff and I think it turns out more like a stoup than a soup...ya know, super thick, more stewy than soupy. Yummy!

Leftover Turkey Soup
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning (or sage)
Bones and trimmings from 1 turkey or 2 chickens
3 cubes (or 3 teaspoons) chicken bouillon
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 quarts (6 cups) water
1/2 cup barley or rice or 1 cup noodles
3 medium carrots sliced
2 stalks celery sliced
2 medium onions chopped

(Now that I am typing out the recipe I am realizing how much I didn't follow it..but you can change, add, subtract whatever you want, it's just a good base. The recipe suggests other veggies to try too...corn, zucchini, tomatoes, potatoes, peas and mushrooms.)

In large pot/dutch oven (I used our big roaster since I had a 24 pound turkey carcass) combine the first 6 ingredients. Simmer covered about 1 1/2 hours. Cool then remove bones - cut off all meat and return to the broth.

Add remaining ingredients. (I totally forgot the onions, oops!) :)
Simmer covered about 30 minutes or until vegetables and noodles are tender.

Garnish with parsley if you want and serve with a thick hearty bread...that's a must! :) Also, we use Reames frozen noodles...SO good, I would suggest those over rice for sure!

Enjoy! :)

7 comments:

Mama M. said...

Whoa...THAT looks delicious!! I've gotta try this! Oh, and just to let you know, I have a newly minted 7 year old that is going to wake up to a room full of balloons tomorrow!

My hubby and my biggest boy helped blow them up, and thought it was an AWESOME idea!! Thanks for introducing us to a new tradition!!!

Helga said...

I am not a big fan of turkey either....I love all the side dishes on Thanksgiving though :) I did have smoked turkey yesterday though and I thought that was pretty good...better than regular turkey.

Have fun this week. I wish I was stateside for Black Friday shopping...oh how I am going to miss the shopping :(

Unknown said...

yum yum yum....

carcass....ick

happy ultrasound....are you going to be able to not find out?

can't wait....

Helga said...

I have an award for you on my blog :)

Jen said...

Turkey sandwiches the day after are my favorite too.
Black Friday is a very busy day for baby births!!! Yay for your friends.
Have fun at your ultrasound too!

Liz Mays said...

I get sick of the turkey after about 3 leftover meals. Thank you so much for the recipe!

Amy said...

I am with you on the not liking Turkey thing. I never have liked it. Too dry for my tastes. The soup sounds delicious.
Yay! I can't wait to hear what you are having. So exciting! What a great week for you!